Starting a business or already have an established business? It is never too late to have a broad networking circle! Grow your network by joining the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce. In this blog, you will learn about the Chamber and how beneficial it can be to you and your company.
What is the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce?
This organization is one of Chicago’s most influential businesses. It is a community of business professionals and civic leaders working together trying to make Chicago the best place to live and work.
There are more than 125 business professionals and civic leaders in the Board of Directors for the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce. They meet every quarter to discuss and address any problems that might be an issue to the business community in Chicago. The Chamber works hard to be a voice that is heard from the businesses in Chicago.
Why you should join?
More than 1,000 businesses from major industries are represented by The Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce. There are various business professionals from the Chicagoland area that are: non-profit organizations, startups, small businesses, mid-market businesses and huge corporations. You never know who you will run into and what opportunities will arise from those interactions. Reasons to join the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce are:
- Tons of Networking opportunities: Super easy to make connections with The Chamber hosting more than 100 educational conferences, networking events and seminars every year
- You are able to make your mark in the community: Join forums to share your knowledge about the business world, learn about business issues that are going on and engage with peers
- Engage in business policy issues: Your voice can be heard on all levels of the government.
Benefits to Becoming a Member
Other than the abundance of networking events, joining a community and being engaged with business politics, there are many benefits to becoming a member. Think of it as an investment to you and your business that starts paying off right away.
There are 4 different levels of membership that a person can sign up for:
- Leadership Circle
- President’s Circle
Each level has a different set of benefits for each member.
Executive Member: In this membership you get: 4 vouchers for networking events, may get a discounted service or good from another member, get business newsletters, and receive an opportunity for digital advertising or sponsorship.
Premier Member: In this membership, not only do you get all the benefits that is included in the Executive Member level, you get extra perks! Instead of 4 vouchers you get 6 vouchers for networking events, can serve on a business committee or council, showcase your business on their digital platforms and receive invitations to Premier Luncheons.
Leadership Circle Member: In this membership you get everything that is included in the Executive and Premier membership plus more benefits! Instead of 6 vouchers you get 10 for networking events, exclusive legislative event invites, to lead a business committee or council and participate in March Matchmaking Madness.
President’s Circle Member: In this membership you get everything from the other levels of membership and special perks! You would get: 15 vouchers for networking events, get a company video on the website and digital platforms, invites for Public Policy Committee Meetings, and one on one meetings with Chamber CEO.
As you can see, each level has its own perks and you can see which one best fits you and will benefit your company the most!
The Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce Through Time
Now that we know what the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce does and represents, aren’t you curious to find out how this organization was formed? Below is a brief timeline of the Chamber showing how it evolved and impacted Chicago in positive ways.
- 1904: Alfred McDonald Compton started The Chicago Commercial Association
- 1912: The Chicago Association of Commerce helps create the U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- 1912-1919: The Association helps found Chicago Institutions such as: The Advertising Council, American Red Cross, Chicago Better Business Bureau, Chicago Plan Commission, and the Chicago Safety Council
- 1930: The Association creates a Justice Committee who then form a case against Al Capone
- 1945-1949: The Association supports the Rehousing Program Act to modernize buildings and helped finance Chicago’s Parking Plan
- 1959: The Association meets Elizabeth, Queen of the British Commonwealth while she visits Chicago
- 1962: Thomas H. Coulter, who is the CEO of the Association accepts an award from President John F. Kennedy for “E-for Export”
- 1974-1991: The Association invests in the community by helping in the creation of the Regional Transportation Authority and the Chicago Drug Free Workplace Program
- 1993: Their name changes to the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce
- 1996: They present their first website
- 2000- 2005: The Chicago Land Chamber of Commerce introduces the Chicagoland Entrepreneurial Center and supports disability workers
- 2007: They win a 5-star designation award by the U.S Chamber of Commerce
- 2013: Their 5th President and CEO of the Chamber is Theresa E. Mintle, who is the first woman to be President in the Chamber
Take away: Become a member of the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce
Be part of the evolving organization that is bettering the Chicagoland area. No matter what type of member you are within the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce, you will always have a voice, get to extend your network circle and get involved in business politics.
As well, you will bring more awareness to your business with the connections you make! You never know what can happen until you go. There are tons of opportunities waiting for you, so join the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce! Receive the perks you deserve to expand your business.